Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Music Notation

Today's notation has worked for centuries and I believe that it's a good system that is relatively easy for musicians to learn and understand. But if I were to come up with my own system I would use something that is completely universal such as colors. The 7 colors of the rainbow would be used for the 7 notes A-G. Also how the note is shaded in would represent a 1/2 notes, 1/4 notes, and so on. The shade of each color would determine if the note is sharp or flat. The use of colors would be great because colors are universal but there are so many shades of each color that there may be some confusion amongst musicians. It would also be hard to correctly and legibly shade in the note to represent some of the smaller notes such as 1/16 notes. I believe that the notation we use today works best.

No comments:

Post a Comment